Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Venice, eh...

We are now in Venice, my parents arrived safe and sound, albeit a bit wet. Venice has been less than comfortable, rainy and overcast most of the time. Luckily we do not plan on taking a gondola ride this trip so the driving rain will not be too uncomfortable, I also do not think the gondoliers are all that affiable during the rain anyway. Speaking of affiable people, the Venetians, as most already know, are terribly rude people. I should preface that comment, the people working hospitality are very unpleasant. The food has been questionable at times and the wine just ok, luckily we have a couple better places on the agenda in the near future! I cannot wait to get into Florence, after such a lovely time in Siena, I think Betsy is also excited. Also think that my parents may be sick of looking at Venetian masks, just a bit. I am afraid Venice is too wrapped up in itself that it does not see it´s own flaws. I guess that is what happens to an island city that revolves solely around tourism. As most know, Florence is the home to much of what we know as true Italian cuisine, art and culture, it will be nice for everyone to see it for their first times... not that I am looking forward to leaving Venice but the crappy weather helps along without the door hitting us in the respective butts!
Ryan

2 comments:

  1. What is good about Venice then? Why do so many people do it? I hope it is not for the gondola rides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the gestalt of the city makes it incredibly beautiful. If you have one time in italy it's a must see, but if you've been there before I wouldn't go to it again, instead opt for Siena, it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete